A few weeks ago, I had two severe weather experiences I could easily have done without. The first one was on a Tuesday, when Josh and I were on our way home from the learning center. We had dropped by Chad's Theatrical to reserve our costumes for the choir's Madrigal Dinner, and as we were finishing up, the radio playing in the shop announced a tornado warning and we heard tornado sirens. The lady at the store graciously let us stay there for about another half hour or more until the worst of the storm passed over, then we made a beeline for home in the pouring down rain. When we were running out to the car, Josh let me use his jacket as an umbrella, but by the time we got to the car, he was nearly soaked.
The second occurrence was the Saturday just after that, when Josh and I were at a swing dance. It was 10:00 and the dance was just ending, when I got a call from Mommy saying that we should probably leave because she was driving home from work and it was snowing up a storm (literally). Now something you'll need to know is that the forecast had said we could expect a "little bit" of snow, but what really happened was a snowstorm, with the snow piling up really fast. On the way home, the roads were barely visible, and the only thing keeping me on the freeway for the hour-long-drive home was the lights of the car in front of me. One thing I did like about it though was that I got to drive in the middle of the freeway because there were hardly any cars at all. When we got off at our exit, the snow had stopped, but by the time we turned onto Highway E for the 10-mile country drive out to our place, it started snowing even heavier than before. I could barely see the road, and I was thankful that we met no cars on the way, because there was no way I would have been able to share the road and not drive off the side. Now the road we turn off onto to get home is Truxton Road, but there is another road before that called New Truxton, and we're always having to remind people that it's not New Truxton they need to turn onto but just plain Truxton. Because I could hardly see anything, I saw New Truxton Road and turned onto it, but realized as soon as I had done so that it was the wrong road. By this time, the snow was at least 3 inches deep, and when I tried to back up, I got stuck and the car wouldn't budge. Instead of flooring the pedal to get out, I called Mommy (who had arrived home already) and told her we were stuck, and Daddy came to get us unstuck. But on his way, he himself got stuck and so he had to get himself free before he could come to us. It was a whole hour before he arrived, and it took about 15 or so minutes to get the car out. Fortunately, a guy with a truck happened along and helped push the car the last few feet out onto the main road. Unfortunately, however, I had been wearing a knee skirt and sandals to the dance, and so when I was standing outside, my bare legs were FREEZING, and my feet were soaked in the snow. I thought it a little weird that two times in a row when Josh and I were out by ourselves, we had storm trouble. I have to say, though, it was good for my driving experience!
No comments:
Post a Comment